Continuing my 25 reasons to travel in 2020, as some of our countries national parks are reopening, my thoughts turn towards rural endeavors. For that reason, I thought we'd check out some Dude Ranches and Resorts. These are luxurious dude ranches that are worth ditching your beach vacation for.
25 Reasons to Travel in 2020
1. THE RESORT AT PAWS UP, GREENOUGH MONTANA Known as The Last Best Place, The Resort at Paws Up may be just that. A pristine escape in the Rocky Mountains, taking full advantage of the Big Sky countryside, this wilderness outpost offers something for all energy levels. Explore the land on horseback, cast a fly for trout or simply indulge in spa treatments at Spa Town®. As for accommodations, you can choose from 28 luxurious vacation homes, or you can experience upscale camping in one of 36 luxury tents, with decadent furnishings, your own private bathroom and even the services of a Camping Butler. It's nature served on a silver platter.
Release your inner cowboy or cowgirl on an authentic cattle drive, where you can try your hand at herding cattle from horseback. Virtuoso Amenities: The usual Virtuoso amenities, plus daily full breakfast (included in rates), complimentary round-trip private airport transfers, bottle of wine in room on arrival, and a $300 USD activity credit, to be utilized during stay (not combinable, not valid on room rate, no cash value if not redeemed in full).
2. DUNTON HOT SPRINGS, DOLORES COLORADO Located just outside Telluride, Dunton Hot Springs breathes new life into a 19th-century ghost town. The 13 rustic log cabins are all unique and surprisingly luxe, with heated slate floors and handpicked antiques; guests in the Well House enjoy their own hot springs. Others can soak weary bones in the old bathhouse or under the stars at the source. Join a trail ride into the Rockies or fly-fish along a private stretch of the Dolores; you’ll find every conceivable winter sport, including heli-skiing. Farm-fresh meals and wine from the resort’s vineyard are shared over the Saloon’s long table.
Butch Cassidy was just one of many characters who passed through Dunton; look for his name among the etchings in the Saloon’s original bar.
Virtuoso Amenities: The usual Virtuoso amenities, plus daily A La Carte Breakfast (all meals included in rates), $100 USD Resort/Hotel credit to be utilized during stay (not combinable, not valid on room rate, no cash value if not redeemed in full), bottle of Sutcliffe Wine in room upon arrival.
3. THE RANCH AT ROCK CREEK, PHILIPSBURG MONTANA Surrounded by 6,600 acres of ranchland, The Ranch at Rock Creek offers an all-inclusive “true west” experience complete with breathtaking scenery and activities as limitless as the Montana sky. Take advantage of long summer days to fly-fish, ride horseback or hike. Winter activities include snowmobiling, cross-country skiing and horse-drawn sleigh rides. Accommodations comprise nine Western-themed guestrooms in The Granite Lodge, multi-bedroom log homes and luxurious canvas cabins on Rock Creek. Prime organic beef, elk, bison and fresh fish grace the table in the evening, along with vegetables and herbs grown in gardens on-site.
The Rock Creek Ritual in the full-service spa is heavenly — it features a sea-salt exfoliation, a massage and a hydrating wrap made of organic flowers and honey. Virtuoso Amenities: The usual Virtuoso amenities, plus daily full breakfast (already included in the all-inclusive price), one premium bottle of wine upon arrival, $100 Ranch Credit (may be used at The Granite Spa or The Mercantile).
4. TRIPLE CREEK RANCH, DARBY MONTANA Triple Creek Ranch, Member of Relais & Châteaux, is renowned for offering innovative, all-inclusive guest experiences. One can return time and time again and never have the same vacation twice. There is so much to do at this award-winning adults-only hideaway in the Bitterroot Mountains of Montana that you won't know what to try first. Perhaps you'll learn to fly-fish on a scenic float down the river. Or maybe join the ranch staff to drive cattle. Of course, there's a hefty dose of luxury included, from elegant cuisine and fine wines to a wood-burning fireplace and private hot tub at the cabin.Receive a complimentary framed photo as a memento of the enjoyment you experienced participating in one of the many on- or off-ranch activities — great for holiday cards. Virtuoso Amenities: The usual Virtuoso amenities, plus full breakfast daily included in rates, $100 USD Resort/Hotel credit to be utilized during stay (not combinable, not valid on room rate, no cash value if not redeemed in full).
5. BRUSH CREEK LUXURY RANCH, SARATOGA WYOMING Go wild in style at The Brush Creek Luxury Ranch Collection. Through its front gates lie 30,000 unspoiled acres, where you can reclaim a sense of independence while riding trails, driving cattle, fly-fishing or hiking 12,000-foot Medicine Bow Peak: The adventures at this all-inclusive, authentic working cattle ranch are near-endless. Accommodations include 42 luxurious, timbered rooms, with open-hearth fireplaces and plush amenities. Families can spread out in 19th-century, restored log cabins with decks, full kitchens and expansive views, or stay in our upscale Magee Homestead, exclusively for adults ages 21 and over.
The cattle drive is a once-in-a-lifetime horseback experience where you move cattle to different pastures on the ranch. Virtuoso Amenities: The usual Virtuoso amenities, plus full breakfast, served in Trailhead Lodge Great Room Dining Hall (included in rates), $150.00 per person (up to 2 paying adults per room) towards ANY premium activity of his/her choice (No cash value/ non transferable).